Sauerkraut by Rick Miars
Cut the cabbage into small pieces either with a knife or a food processor. Do not shred it or the sauerkraut will be like slaw.
- Pack tightly (I use a wooden spoon) into a pint or quart canning jar.
- In a pint jar 1/2 teaspoon of salt, kosher if you choose, in a quart jar add 1 teaspoon.
- Fill slowly with water. let set for 10 minutes then top off the jar.
- Place a lid on the jar LOOSLY and put on a shelf in a cool room. After 5 days check and add water as needed, then tighten the lid.
- Let sit for another two weeks or to taste. When you open the jar discard some of the top of the kraft as it will be brown..
Makes a great sauerkraut that is not too bitter and quite healthy.
We want to feature you!
Do you have a great recipe based on some of the food we handout? We want to know about it! Send us an e-mail using the contact form and share with us your best recipes and meal ideas. If we create a post around your idea, we’ll gladly give YOU the credit!